Randsom Wayne- Birth Story

It all started on July 12th. I began having mild contractions in the evening but didn’t think very much of it- I was hot and tired and figured my body was just practicing. On July 13 I started having more consistent contractions- I started timing them and they were 7 minutes apart but not too sever. It just felt like really awful period cramps but I wasn’t experiencing any tightening in my tummy. Because I was supposed to have a scheduled c-section we called my doctor to see if I should come in to be checked- they had me come in and hooked me up to the monitors. Baby was looking great and was moving around- my contractions where consistently 7 to 10 minutes apart but I hadn’t progressed in the 2 hours that they kept me there. They decided to send me home in hopes that I would make it until my morning c-section on the 15th. I felt bad because I had called my parents and told them we where going to the hospital. Of course they drove all the way in only to be sent home a few hours later.

We got home and I tried to relax. I slept on the couch that night because my contractions where becoming more painful and I didn’t want to keep Grant up with my tossing and turning. It got to the point where I decided to take a bath to help ease the pain- it was 4:30 in the morning. I waited until Grant was awake and told him I needed to go back to the hospital- I was sure I was in active labor. So off we went to the hospital where they again hooked me up to the monitors. Baby was doing great but I still hadn’t progressed. They decided yet again to send me home. At this point my family and I where baffled by their choice to send me home. I was high risk and having consistent contractions. They should have just kept me there and done the c-section right away. One of the nurses told me that they were probably sending me home because they where very busy that day- all of the rooms where taken and I had been put in the recovery room just to be checked. As fearful and upset as I was to be sent home again, we left around 3 and went home.

We where home again and I was still having contractions- I went to lay down in the bed and tried to get some sleep. I had home and in bed no more than an hour and my water broke! I remember feeling a really strong contraction and feeling a “pop”. I jumped up because I knew what happened and ran to the bathroom- leaving a trail of water as I went. I yelled to Grant saying my water broke- then grabbed a towel and we headed to the car. I walked all the way through the parking deck (Not sure why we chose to park instead of go through the emergency room) and through the hospital to labor and delivery while dripping water and having a towel between my legs.

After a few ‘I told you so’s” to the nurses and doctor who had sent me home an hour ago, I was all hooked up again. They monitored me for a few hours and we had time to once again call our parents and tell them I was for sure having our baby this time.

Around 9 they started to prep me for my c-section. I was extremely nervous. They brought me into the surgery room- the walls where bare white and the lights where extremely bright. There were also about 7 people in the room. Grant was not allowed in the room until after they had given me the spinal tap- which was NOT fun. It pinched and I felt like I could feel the needle going through my spine, they had to do it twice because the first one didn’t quite work. The second one worked quickly though and my lower body was numb in a matter of minutes. Grant was able to come in the room (Now dressed in dark blue scrubs and hat). He held my hand which was starting to shake because of nerves and the medicine. I didn’t feel anything- I didn’t even know they had started the c-section until I felt a huge tug. Next thing I know I heard my sons cry, it was loud and strong and such a relief. Grant let go of my hand and went with our son to make sure things where OK. I remember laying there, with my arms strapped down, and crying. I was so thankful that he was born alive and crying- they brought him over to me after a few long minutes and I was able to give him a kiss on the cheek. I will never forget how wonderfully warm his face felt.

It took a good 45 minutes for them to sew me up- I was left alone because Grant went with out boy to the NICU. I was told he weighed 10lbs 9 oz and was 21 and 1/2 inches long. He was doing great and I was excited to see him. I had to wait over an hour because they wanted me to eat and have my vitals checked before making the long ride over to the NICU.

It was very late and I was exhausted as they wheeled me down to see my son- Randsom Wayne. He was hooked up to many monitors but everyone told me he was doing great. I was afraid to hold him but excited to finally have him in my arms. He was perfect and handsome and was so alert.

I spent the next few days recovering from the c-section and making frequent trips down to the NICU. It was exhausting and I was not sleeping well. They released my from their care 4 days later but Randsom was still in the NICU. I don’t want to make this much longer but I do have to mention that I ended up readmitted to the hospital a week later. I woke up in the middle of the night unable to breathe. My swelling was unbelievable and my blood pressure was near the 200’s. I had developed postpartum preeclampsia and spent another 4 days in the hospital- I wasn’t allowed to get up to see Randsom because moving made my blood pressure too high. It was awful and I never want to relive those days.

Thankfully we are all home now and healthy. We shall see where things go from here- but God is in control and I will try to rest in Him.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *